Friday, July 4, 2008

From the mouth of Babes

It wasn’t a great afternoon. I had a very clingy six month old attached to me and didn’t want to be left alone. So as I was listening to Aiden cry, I was getting Jakob’s dinner ready (read heating up leftover Chinese in the microwave) and I was calling to Aiden that I would be there in a minute. I put Jake’s dinner down in front of him and commented on how I was going crazy or was going to lose it, or something like that. I didn’t realize that Jakob was paying attention to what I was saying, but he sure was. He came out with the most profound statement. He said “Mommy, you can never give up”. I can never give up. Hmmmmm. How true. What exactly did he mean by that. Can I never give up on him and Aiden? Can I never give up on being a Mom? Of course not. But how does he know that? It has to make you think about how their minds work. What was he thinking that I would give up on? But back to their minds. Jakob has come out with some very thoughtful comments before. I, unfortunately, have forgotten most of them. But this one, oh this one will stick with me for a long time. We all have moments when we wish we could quit, that we could just give up when it gets too hard. But we can’t. I can’t. I have to take a breath, step back, pick up Aiden, sit with Jakob and have dinner, kiss my husband goodnight as he leaves me with the clingy boy and the “profit”, and smile as I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. So, don’t worry Jakob, I’m never going to give up.

No comments: